Friday, March 28, 2008

Have You Ever Seen A Scarf Like That?

What will three days, a half a ball of hand dyed yarn, a really big tatting needle and a crazy idea get you? Well, in my case, it got me a really interesting scarf.

How did this scarf come about, you ask? Okay, I'm pretty sure no one asked, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. It all started with a ball of merino yarn that I got in a trade. It was beautiful, but I don't really feel like busting out the knitting needles yet, so I turn to my giant tatting needles.

I started with my Grand Daisy pattern and chained 18 of them together. The rest I made up as I went and I feel like it turned out very well.

Then I spent what seemed like hours searching for something remotely similar to base a price on. I even checked my very first sold items from 2 years ago. I came away from that search without any idea of what to charge, but confident that my creations sure have come a long way since then. I'll be listing the scarf soon and I hope people will take to it.

Here's a question for you...If I said that I would make this scarf for you with the hand dyed yarn of your choice from another etsy seller for no additional charge, would that make this a more appealing design? Would you wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive? And of course the most telling question: How much would be too much to charge for this?

4 comments:

SmilesandSunshine said...

That is beautiful. I'd like to learn tatting this year. I have no idea how much to charge for it. I couldn't afford it. I would think $100 would be too much. IMHO.

Little Pods Clothing said...

wow! That must have taken forever, gorgeous.

UniqueNurseGranny said...

What a work of art that is.It should be very expensive and is worth it.

My Art said...

Really nice scarf!!!