Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Music Review?

I don't usually mention my musical tastes online. Mostly because the music I love it not considered hip, nor in. I actually have fairly expansive tastes and musical knowledge fueled by nearly a decade at a music store. There are few genres that I truly dislike, but I have always come back to my favorites. Now, five years later I feel out of place when people begin to share their favorites and I rarely run into like minded music fans. All that being said, I was truly surprised recently by someone I met on twitter, yes it's another twitter story.

When someone follows me on twitter, like most people, I check out their profile to see we have anything in common. Social media and marketing experts are ignored, fellow artists and crafters are generally followed and every so often there's a band or musician and I go their site to check them out. This is a fairly easy marketing idea, people will listen, you catch a few, you miss a few, but there's not that much effort involved. Well, I was caught by one with the moniker driftingnsilenc, which is the shortened version of Drifting In Silence. After listening to tracks available on his website, I returned to twitter and followed him back as well as commenting my opinion to him.

Next thing I know, I am in possession of a generous handful of CDs that included not only the main project, but also a side project, Longthenight and a label mate and remixer Drev. I spent the afternoon yesterday listening to all this whilst my daughters slept and I couldn't believe that I had just now discovered them. Derrick Stembridge the man behind Drifting In Silence and Longthenight is a mad genius, really. He has mastered the perfectly beautiful ambient track as well as the industrial beat driven one. Rather than dissolve into meaningless noise, each piece has a defining structure, wrought with intelligence. The more ambient pieces let my mind wander and escape, perfect for designing to and the more aggressive pieces inspired me to work with focus.

I am no music reviewer, I am a maker of lace who likes my music ambient, electro and Industrial. I like music that is crafted by a mad scientist with the soul of an artist. I want music that can at once haunt my soul and move my feet. Maybe it's not the hippest music and it's devotees tend to be a bit darker and a little different, but I like it and you might too. Now brush off the fact that the tatter just attempted a music review and move on with your day. I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

2 comments:

Artsnark said...

Sounds interesting. Will have to check it out. Did you know you had an item on Foundhandmade blog yesterday? http://www.foundhandmade.com/news/itemize

TotusMel said...

Thanks for looking out, they actually sent me a convo yesterday to let me know!