Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hookah

Well, yesterday was a bit off. I spent a very long time on the twitter discussing a custom order. Not that I mind the custom order, nor the venue of discussion, only that I got little done in the morning. I went straight from that discussion to the child's schooling for the day, so it wasn't until much later that I made any progress on the caterpillar.

Trying to stick with the whole, use up the stash theme, I gathered a few beads and a headpin to attempt to create a hookah. I think I said I wasn't going to do that, but he is the hookah smoking caterpillar, so it was worth a shot. I made the chain using large jump rings twisted to make two rings out of each. Again, that whole using only what I've got thing. When I presented the hookah for opinions on twitter, they ranged from,'that's perfect' to 'nope, looks nothing like a hookah'. I made a few adjustments after this picture on advisement of a twitter follower who I'm going to assume has more familiarity with the hookah than me, which is to say he has any at all.

I had accepted that the necklace looks little like an actual caterpillar, only that it feels inspired by a caterpillar...or perhaps snake. Anyway, I wasn't going to try and give this thing a face or anything, but I did decide to add a few more details. here we have one of those. The blue dots that one can see near the head of the caterpillar. I made small rings and sewed them onto the piece with rainbow filament. The result of the filament is a very subtle shine, which is good since I didn't really want any other bling after the hookah.

I still don't feel like the piece is done, but I'm not sure what else it needs. I'm certain that it will come to me at some point and I do have a custom piece to deal with so I might move onto that for a spell so I can come back to this one with fresh eyes. I'm also not entirely pleased with the clasp either so it might get moved as well. I guess what I'm saying is it is a work in progress until I say otherwise.

2 comments:

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

Okay, I think that's a wonderful idea, and the execution is lovely.

Unknown said...

Oh la la very pretty :0)
M