Monday, January 3, 2011

Nowhere But Up

Her we are then, the first Monday of the Year. I can't say that I am happy to see it, but time stops for no man. Home schooling starts up today and I must get back into a groove again. No more tatting whenever I feel like, no more snacking all day and mindlessly watching television. I must now focus and divide my life back into those little time boxes that make this all work. See, would you be happy to see this Monday if you were me?

My attitude is shaped by the year I've had so far. I started it with an worsening head cold, no first of the year sales and weather that would depress a unicorn. I'm surprised I made it to Monday without some act of depression, like crawling into bed at noon. Honestly though, it's likely for the best that the year has begun down in the gutter. This way it's easy for me to say that there is nowhere to go but up. Yes, I am aware that's not strictly true, but let me have this.

I have also begun work on a custom request. This is another without up front payment as I have no idea if I can even make it or not. I like to work the details out before I guess a cost on things like this. I have also decided that I enjoy a challenge now and again with the option to fail. If I always get that payment, I have no out clause. This way I can give it a go with a little less stress. Sure, I work well under pressure, but it doesn't have to be unbearable pressure, does it? Anyway, this one is an arm band that's meant to spiral around ones arm. I'm guessing that the one in this image, which is the basis of the request was made which some Venice lace glued to the models arm. The customer however, wants something more structured and wearable. So I am playing with a  few different ideas including memory wire and maybe chain straps to hold the piece. Unfortunately, I will have no idea if any of it will work until I have made up a sample and actually wear it around to see how it behaves, so this might be one of my longer custom trials.  I do have some ideas on patterns as well, but as my day is about to normalize, we'll see how much time I get to work on it.

At any rate, thanks for all the New Year's wishes and for coming back in this new year. Hopefully I won't disappoint too many of you!

2 comments:

caro-chan said...

Good luck with that project! It sounds like that if it works out it will be amazing! I hope you figure out the best way to do it.

Sewicked said...

Belated Happy New Year.