Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Into The Light

Thanks in no small part to your many supportive comments, I have climbed out from under the rock. Don't get me wrong, the package is still missing and I am still devastated in particular by the loss of this mask. So let us all say a fond farewell to the missing mask. Perhaps this is only goodbye until we meet again or perhaps some idiot nicked the package you were in and dumped you not knowing your worth. At least I have pictures to remind me.

Well, around nine or ten yesterday morning, I sucked it up and realized that while I have to accept that there is nothing I can do about the missing package that doesn't mean that it is the end of this journey. I pulled myself together, took inventory of what I did have made and sent a message back to the designer offering to replace what I can with other styles. Now, I know some of you have worried that this is an elaborate scam to get free goods out of me, but honestly she was as worried about the missing package as me, never asked for her money back and even expressed that she had no more budget to pay for more pieces when I offered replacements. I should get some of my money back from the USPS claim that I can't file for like 20 days, but that's really not the point here. I was offered an opportunity that someone like me is unlikely to be offered again and I think I would be a fool not to pursue that as long as I can. No one ever made it by giving up...unless they have, but they shouldn't have...you get the point.

So I am working like a madwoman to see how many pieces I can get done by Thursday when I will overnight...UPS time, all the pieces for the show. The wunderkammer will rest and I will tat all day even during school time and hopefully I can replace much of the original order. I am still holding out hope that the original package will be found, but as someone once said, 'You can't put the shit back in.' All we can do is move forward with the knowledge painfully earned. So I'm off to tat.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

Good luck with your projects!

geek details said...

:( this post makes me sad. While I'm glad you can eventually file a claim, I'm sad it was lost or stolen. You do beautiful work and you have a fantastic attitude. You'll get through this!

victats@gmail.com said...

Fingers are crossed that the package will show up...otherwise wishing you fleet fingers in getting a new package done.

Sewicked said...

On the bright side, your willingness to do what you can to cover something that isn't your fault will not doubt impress the designer. And that's the sort of thing that shows up in word of mouth.

"Oh TotusMel? I ordered stuff from her but the package got lost, including a one-of-a-kind mask. Do you know what she did, she overnighted some of her other work to me. I wouldn't say it saved the show, but it did make a huge difference." That's good PR.

**hugs** that the package magically appears.

artikaur said...

I am sorry your package went missing. Hopefully, the designer will appreciate your willingness to go the distance and make it up to her.

I hope the package turns up soon!!!:-)...

Unknown said...

I am impressed by your clear-headed strength and grit in dealing with this adversity!

Suztats said...

Well good stuff with moving forward and making as much of the opportunity as you possibly can! I'm sure your willingness to provide as much as possible within the time frame will go a long way to demonstrate your commitment to the project. Way to go! And wishing you wonderful results!

Red said...

Good luck! While I still hope the box was just mislaid in the back of a truck somewhere and it'll be found, go you crazy-tatting to get pieces replaced! I couldn't even imagine. *good thoughts/back rubs beamed at you*