Monday, February 21, 2011

So Much New For You

I am noting if not impressionable. Okay, maybe that's unfair, I'm not impressionable, but rather I tend to take suggestions to heart and run with them. To wit, Crazy Mom Tats! asks in the comments on Friday if I'd ever thought about making headpieces. The answer to the question is yes, I had, but there were others out there, I didn't have any chain laying about at the time, inspiration hadn't quite hit right...you know the usually list of reason why one abandoned an idea. Well the suggestion came at the right time this go round, combined with elements I had on hand and a little inspiration via Crazy Mom's link and this was born. I must admit that getting the chain lengths right and the attachments to the lace perfect was much more of a challenge than I had imagined, but I think it turned out beautifully.

Of course I couldn't just stop at one, so I dug through my existing pendants to find something that would make a nice center piece. I had actually made up two of these embellished tenebrous pendants so I didn't even need to do an more tatting before I started to play with the chains again. The fist one is an adjustable piece with the lobster clasp at the back attacking directly to the chain. It also means that one can be worn as a necklace as well. This time I decided to make a fixed size with the chain that sits on the head. If I thought chain length was a difficult task with the first piece, this one took it way up a notch. I used a heavier chain and they all attach together in the back. I do have plans to try out a few more designs of these using more tatting, but really it's the chains that make them, so I probably won't do any made entirely of tatted chains.

Why though, did I have all these chains on hand in the first place. Well you remember on Friday I was still working on a new collar design and I went to the store Friday night to get more chains. I wanted nice light aluminum ones in gunmetal and bright silver so I could combine them to make this collar. I do like the way it turned out, but man was it a task to figure out all the attachments and lengths. What looks good lying down or even on my mannequin head does not necessarily look goo draping on a real neck. Of course after all that work I didn't write down a single measurement. So I guess all of these pieces, particularly the choker, are one of a kinds. Though it shouldn't be too hard to replicate the headpieces I guess.

So that and a snow trip was my weekend. The chains left my fingers sore and the snow trip left everything else sore. I won't even get into the epic bruise on my hip. Today is still a vacation day so I  likely won't get anything too interesting done, but who knows what inspiration your comments will give me today.

3 comments:

Suztats said...

Very cool! So my question is: have you ever thought about steampunk tatting?

Crazy Mom! said...

These are lovely - I thought you might enjoy venturing in that direction!

Irena said...

bardzo ładne rzeczy tworzysz, pozdrawiam Irena