Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Damn Elusive Thread

Such a failed attempt to find the metallic thread I am running out of. I don't remember when or where I bought it and of course the label disappeared years ago. It's made up of two plys and each ply has what appears to be a black cotton thread wrapped with a silver filament making it about twice as thick as heavy duty sewing thread and it's on a beige colored locking spool. I searched high and low and nothing, so much nothing. Sure I found lots of beautiful metallic thread that all looked too thin or not remotely the same construction or color. I've used it a lot on my fancy masks and these new doily pieces, but it will be gone with just another project. I can live with not finding the same thread again if I can find a suitable replacement that serves the same purpose, mainly the same thickness and the dual tone. I know, good luck right?

In other non news, I got a lovely custom color order yesterday that I worked on much of the day and what time was left I devoted to working on snowflakes. I did start another doily hairpiece, this time in purple for it was requested.  I've got a couple of other things to remake today and then the day is devoted to the cleaning of the house in anticipation of tomorrow's meal. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the rest of today, but one can't stop the march of time, so march I must.

5 comments:

Susie said...

Krenik has lots of metallic threads. Love your work!

TotusMel said...

Thanks Susie, it's definitely not krenik, the spool is sewing thread size, but that's likely where I'll find a replacement.

Marilee Rockley said...

I'm not sure, but could it be similar to Gold Rush?
http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/2Threads.html#Metallic%20Threads

TotusMel said...

Thanks Marliee, that's close, but not it either...I fear it's not being made anymore, but those are some nice sparklies.

Stacey said...

HI is this similar to what you are looking for?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/457069531/black_silver_embroidery_thread.html
scroll down for a bigger view of the thread.