Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Let The Rambling Begin

Ah, glorious sleep...I believe that I find myself fairly well rested this morning. Of course that does not fix the fact that I have very little to share with you today. Yesterday I schooled the child in the morning, did some laundry, attacked the ants who were using the rain as an excuse to invade...more than usual and I remade the burgundy trailing scrolls necklace. Honestly, I could stop the blog post there and I wouldn't be leaving much out at all, but given my proclivity for rambling, you know I'm not going to do that.

Last week I inherited a large bag of embroidery, cross stitch and crewel kits from a friend of my in-laws. It was assumed that creative Pam would want them. I hadn't embroidered anything but my own tatting since I was child, so I pulled one out and began to reteach myself the stitches. This is what I've been occupying my time with as of late. The kits aren't anything I would have bought myself, far too, umm girly or traditional I guess, but it is something different. I have been designing new pieces all month at what is an unsustainable pace and I needed something to distract me from the compulsion to continue.

Speaking on new compulsions, I often tell the story of how I started a blog because everyone in the etsy forums told me I needed one. It was the same for joining twitter and flickr and I haven't been able to avoid many of those sort of sites. Call it peer pressure or the fear that 'this' is the place I will need to be to establish my online presence and if I'm not there too...Oh Noooo! Yes, I'm being melodramatic, but after reading that Marliee fell down the Tumblr rabbit hole too, I started thinking about that place again. So I joined too. Yeah, I know, I know...I need another online site to maintain like I need a hole in my head, but done is done. When I told the husband what I'd done he asked why. My response,  "So that I have one just in case and so no one else can take my name". "So you're cyber squatting?" he replied. "Well, yes a little bit, but I'll post stuff too."

I'm quite frustrated with the layout as I want mine pretty like other ones I've seen, but I have no html skills to fancy it up. I want pretty graphic links and a lovely header, but I am lacking. I suppose it matters very little as I still have no idea what I will do there. Wow, see how much rambling I managed to get done with nothing of quality to say. It's a skill, a relatively useless skill, but I'll take what I've been given. Hopefully something interesting will happen today as I've nothing planned at this moment. Cross your fingers.

4 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

Tumblr is just for microblogging, it's not like a real blog IMHO. Most people will only look at your page once, just to decide if they want to follow you or not. So, all you need to do is post a picture occasionally, have it link back to your Etsy shop or wherever you want (that's what the "click through link" setting is for) and tag your photo so it will show up when people explore categories, such as lace, tatting, jewelry, etc.
People who follow you will have your photos show up in their feed. Anyone who sees your photo (or short post, quote, video, whatever) and clicks on it will be taken to the site that you've linked it to. So, people who haven't seen your work before might become eager customers.

Hope this helps.

Marilee Rockley said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, other Tumblr microbloggers can re-blog your posts! They will always link back to the site that you set them up to link to, so having other people re-blog your stuff is a really good thing. Tons of new exposure for your work!

TotusMel said...

Thanks so much for the info Marliee!

Ann Martin said...

ooh, I also thank Marilee for the great explanation - I've been curious about Tumblr. Pinterest has been invaluable for my site and I can't wait til Blogger makes it easy to add the Pin button under each post.