Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Odd

Busy, busy, busy, but not on anything of relevance. The oldest daughter went to testing for the morning, so I used the time for things like laundry. When she was back we still had some schooling to get done. Normally she doesn't have to do anymore classes on a testing day, but since we're on an accelerated schedule to finish an extra year of schooling, we can't afford the day off. After that we went on a walk.

Now this next part you may find a bit odd...well, not if you know me well, but still. We live next to a creek with some undeveloped land surrounding it. When we go on walks we pick up things like owl and hawk pellets to dissect. Some time ago a cat had died in one of the fields and because of where it was lying, it was undisturbed for the most part. Sad as it is, it was also fascinating to observe. Well yesterday we checked on it during our walk and the bones were mostly clean, so we collected them. No we didn't touch them.

So the rest of the afternoon was spent on the first phase of cleaning them. There's no way I'll be able to re-articulate them, but we'll fine some way to to display them. See, I know...odd right? No tatting and instead I share bone stories. I'd show a picture of the skull, but I don't want to overwhelm with macabre. Instead, how about a newly bloomed Iris from our yard. If you really want to see it though, I shared a photo on twitter.

There are no extra tasks today, except that I've been commissioned by my mother's co-worker to make a unicorn horn for her horse. Yes, that was as weird a request to get as it is to hear about. Of course my mother wants one for herself too. This is what happens when you make something for a child and share it on the Internet. Hopefully I'll spend some time tatting today though. I'm starting to miss it a bit.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I do not find to odd at all. One year my friend and I stumbled upon a dead elk. It was very near where we at lunch in Rocky Mountain National Park. Over the summer we watched it decompose and be nibbled on. For a while the smell was so awful that we couldn't get really close to observe it, but it was fascinating. Nature and the circle of life at work right before our eyes. By the end of the summer you could barely see where it had been. Maybe we are both odd? I do not think so. It is nature at work, which to me is always, always fascinating.