Monday, May 25, 2015

Another One Done

I only did anything creative on Friday. The rest of the weekend was devoted to family and birthday celebrating, but let's start with Friday first. I was really quite determined to finish this piece of lace on Friday since I had started it the day before. As I moved down the lace I finally got a glimpse of what I was creating. I probably should have opted for pins with smaller heads so I could see, but they are so much better for gripping than the smaller ones that came with the kit. You can see that I used those as well. This is also the first time that I bothered to take a picture that includes the bobbins themselves. They came with the kit I got so they're not particularly photogenic, but they work.

I did finish the piece and I have to admit that even though I really disliked handling the gimp thread, the thick one, throughout, I like the way it looks. It was particularly a pain anytime the two gimps crossed, just trying to figure out which bobbin threads needed to grab which one. I'm still not happy with the way the finished pieces are twisting though. I think some of the problem lies in the polyester sewing thread, so when we were out over the weekend I picked up some size 80 cotton thread since it was on clearance. The next piece I try will be using that to see if the results are any better. I'm almost done with the section on Buck's Point lace and then it's onto different shapes of lace. I don't mind telling you that after skimming that section not only do I wish that I had an actual bobbin lace pillow instead of this chunk of foam, I'm also rather frightened of the idea of turning the work. Also I'm rather thankful that this book only uses up to 12 pairs of bobbins. I'm not certain that my brain is ready to handle more of them yet.

I probably won't get anything done today though. The oldest child gets her birthday party today since the holiday gave us an extra weekend day. There will be decorating, a bit of pre-cleaning, chaos and family, followed by after-cleaning and collapsing. Since the weekend already held movie watching, zoo going and a little shopping, I'm starting today at an energy deficient so here's to the energy to get though and maybe a little sitting time for some lace.

No comments: